Sunday, October 17, 2010

Charley Harper Quilt Show at Farbach Warner Park

Warning: This is a photo-heavy post LOL!

I posted my quilt that I submitted for this quilt show in my virgin blog post found here. It is an annual show put on by the RiverCity Quilt Guild, a group I am a member of. There were many quilts in the show that were nature-related that I didn't take photos of. I did take pictures of every Charley Harper quilt in the show, but a few are missing as they were blurry. I blame the new camera :( It didn't help that the show was held in a dark barn with limited lighting. Great location for the quilt show theme...not so good for photos.

If you want to compare these quilts to the original prints or lithographs, you can see his collection of works here.

101_0320
Last year's well-deserved 'Best of Show'


101_0323
My Lucy posing by mommy's 'Cool Carnivore' quilt (despite driving me nuts as late, I love this girl!) And, no, her leg is not missing, she is propping it up on the display!


101_0324

101_0325
The simple cross-hatch quilting on this one is perfect and really highlights the piece. The veins on the leaves are hand-stitched with black thread - adds a nice dimensional detail.


101_0326

101_0327
This one is so impressive in person - the bottom where the rat is hanging ot is actually covered with a black mesh with the "junk" items in underneath. It's a must-see in person! See the actual print here.


101_0328
The use of the Indian corn on this quilt is perfect!


101_0329
B-E-A-TIFUL quilting on this! Appliqued by guild founder, Jan Doench, quilted by her daugher, Katy.


101_0330
The fabric used for these snowy owls is perfect. It has a ribbed texture that really imitates the work done by Harper.


101_0331
Very "COOL" - a very popular Harper print. Appropriate subject for the tri-state.


101_0332
Beautiful, simple quilting echoing the leaf applique. The eyes made from two round, black beads are the perfect finishing touch.


101_0333
One of my favorite Harpers! Lisa left the edges of the bitten watermelon as raw edge and brushed it to make it appear as if the racoons had actually munched on the fruit slice. So cute!

101_0357

101_0358

101_0359

101_0361
This one was a new addition to the show this year. The garland is fabric tied to look like popcorn and red wooden beads. So beautiful!


101_0372

101_0374
Check out the quilting in the background - so pretty!


101_0375
Added dimension here with an actual peacock feather sewn onto the fabric.


101_0376

101_0377

101_0378

Couldn't resist ending the post with this picture. Lucy was so well-behaved and patient, keeping herself occupied at a kids coloring table while I went around taking pictures. I love catching her in action when she doesn't know I'm watching.
101_0366

5 comments:

Darling Jill Quilts said...

Great pics!! Thanks for sharing! I don't think that I have seen all of these in person so it was nice to see them again. :)

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

Excellent quilts! There is a lot of talent there.

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

Such wonderful quilts! Thank you for the picture tour!

Libby said...

Beautiful work!! I think I like the cardinals the best...or the racoons and I really like the elephant one too!! Thanks for sharing them!

btw...Lucy is a darling..even with a missing leg!

elizabeth said...

HI BARB, GOOD LUCK ON YOUR BLOG. BYE THE WAY JAN MISNAMED HER QUILT. THAT IS NOT THE BUG THAT BUGS NOBODY. I MADE THAT ONE LAST YEAR FOR THE SHOW. I GAVE IT TO MY GRANDSON AFTER I TOOK IT BACK WHEN I DROPPED OUT OF THE GUILD. HAPPY QUILTING AND SCRAPBOOKING